Local Love: Rare Indeed

Happy Thursday! It's a gorgeous day today, blue skies all around for Brisbane (it doesn't even bother me that my airwaves are slightly blocked!).
The happiness may also have something to do with the lovely Tiffany, from Rare Indeed, who has been kind enough to answer a few of my probing questions. Her unique necklaces, studs, bracelets and brooches are completely fun and they just ooze quirky charm. I can't help but smile in the knowledge that she's a local!


I want it all! Although, I have to say I really love the 'marvellous' brooch, nothing beats a banner and some nice type! But enough about me, I'm sure you all want to know what really makes Tiff tick...

What inspires you to create?
I’m inspired to create by my need to always have new and pretty things, and by my need to make my ideas real. Most of my jewellery designs came about from me thinking of something that I’d love to wear myself, or from imagery that I find beautiful. I also love the idea of wearing something a bit silly or kitsch, or something that subtly references something you love like a great band or a movie.



How did Rare Indeed come about?

I stumbled across the plastic I use to make my jewellery online and thought I’d buy some and give it a go! I remember getting these little shrink plastic cards in chip packets when I was younger and watching them curl up in the oven, and figured it could be a bit of fun using my own designs instead and making some cute jewellery for myself.
Soon enough I was getting positive comments from friends and strangers and people asking if I was selling them anywhere. From there I opened my etsy shop to which I’ve been adding more and more new items, and now I have my things stocked in the excellent Handmade Highstreet in Annerley. Things have been going well!




Apart from Rare Indeed - what do you like to do with your time?

Since moving to Brisbane from the Gold Coast last year I’ve had an excellent time exploring the various nearby op shops. There’s something wonderful about hunting around and finding a lovely and unique piece of clothing, especially when it’s a total bargain!
Another thing I love to do to pass the time on a rainy Sunday is to sew. I mostly make clothes for myself, as well as alter clothes that I’ve found in my op shopping expeditions. Many an hour I have spent online drooling over awesome quirky fabrics and dreaming up cute outfits to create!




Where do you think you would like to be in a few years?

While I’m not sure what the future will hold for me yet, I like to imagine a scenario where I’m making my jewellery full time, coming up with new designs and new ideas constantly, while having the luxury to sleep in if I choose and duck out to for a spot of op shopping if the mood strikes! And there will ideally be a cat somewhere in this equation.



Where is your favourite spot in Brisbane?

Aside from the aforementioned op shops, there’s something I love about walking or riding buses through the hilly suburban streets just out of the city and checking out the lovely old queenslanders, some with wonderfully kept gardens and fresh white picket fences, some that look like they could come crumbling down in a moment.



What are you most looking forward to in 2012?

There are several things that I’m looking forward to in 2012 that should make it a great year. I’m hoping to venture out to selling at markets, most likely starting at the suitcase rummage held on the first Sunday of every month at Reddacliff place. Non-Rare Indeed related, I’m looking forward to watching my gorgeous twin nieces grow through their first year, and heading over to New York for a holiday in June!


I'm definitely in awe of Tiffany, she has worked hard and committed to her creativity, which really takes confidence and a passion that I am totally envious of (not to mention the New York trip and twin nieces!). I highly recommend you have a browse through the Rare Indeed etsy store, if you have a sense of humour and a taste for fun jewellery, I'm sure you'll 'like' what you see! Or if you are a local, get on over to Handmade Highstreet in Annerley or the next Suitcase Rummage!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...